Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Getting High In Macau



Months before my Asian trip, i have been doing some researches about bungee jumping. Original plan was to do bungee in Nepal so I was watching some video clips on Youtube and reading some related articles about it. I never thought I would do it in Macau until it reached a month before my trip and decided, " I have to do this!"
Last week of September 2010, it was the 3rd day of my backpacking trip in Macau, we went to Macau Tower.

Supposedly, we were like 3 of us planned to do bungee jumping and 3-5 people to do sky jump however, everybody changed their minds except me!
Macau Tower is a phenomenon and one of the most technologically advanced towers in the world, a must see/must visit icon that allows 360 degree views over the city. The city of Macau has been transformed from a quaint Portuguese City to a fully pumping new age Chinese entertainment epi-centre, hosting over 20 million visitors a year. So, we went first to the observation deck and see what's going on. Imagine catching a lift to the top of a giant Sky Tower and watching the monitor flick through floors almost faster than you can count – 60 seconds, we arrived at the observatory deck 233m high














After taking some few pictures, it's time for me to register and get ready. Apart from video motivations I have seen prior to my trip, I was given a 30% discount because a friend of mine, Ana, she knows someone who works there. So the price itself, encourage me in a way to make this jump happen. The price is not cheap but since I was given a discount and it includes a shirt, a certificate and a lifetime discount in any AJ Hackett branches worldwide. You need to pay extra for the cd pictures and DVD video clip though.





















After signing the waiver, I was told to change to an official AJ Hacket shirt. It happened so fast-- they were weighing me and putting the harness on. There are 2 Filipino staffs asking me questions if I did bungee before. I saw some people who were observing are taking pictures and videos of me. I was an instant celebrity that time!


After some few briefings, I found myself on the edge of the ledge. Standing there and seeing some cars below like ants was a torture. The guy was saying some last minute instructions but I wasn't paying attention anymore. All I remember was to pull the red strap sideways during first rebound.

 Am I scared?    NO.

 Am I nervous?   YES.

 Is it safe?    I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE!


There I was standing on the edge and what's so funny is that, the photographer called me and asked me to do some poses before I jump. The guy behind me was saying about the red strap reminding me over and over again. No Jumping. The countdown begins and I said to myself, "Shit, this is really happening!"

" Zero!"

" Fuck, its happening! "





I can't remember how I feel that time. I can only recall falling from the tower and the sound of the strong wind deafening my ears. It was a 10-second free fall and there's the first rebound. Then I remembered the red strap that needs to be pulled.


Rebound comes.


But I can't find the red strap! I was struggling looking for it. Imagine, I'm in the middle of the air, bending and was looking something behind my knees! Feel like I'm an idiot or something. First rebound is almost over and gravity starts to pull me down again. I gave up looking for the red strap. Then there's the second rebound. I said, I need to find it! What is it for by the way? Why do I need to pull it sideways? What if I cant find it?


Second rebound comes.


The red strap appears on the left side of my knee! What if by accident, I wasn't able to pull it sideways? What if I pull the strap towards me? What will happen? I pulled the strap sideways and one of the locks of the harness clicks and opens up. I found myself in a sitting position in the middle of the tower! It was the amazing view I have seen in Macau. Still gasping for breathe, I can feel the cold breeze touching my skin as they slowly lowered me down. One staff was waiting for me from below. He congratulated me and remove the harness from my body. I saw some people watching me near the restaurant where I landed. The staff told me I got a FREE BEER from the restaurant as a prize from jumping! Sweet! As I was on my way going back to my friends, people from the restaurant are still staring at me which made me uncomfortable. When I reached the elevator, I was greeted by a group of people who just went down and probably in the observation deck while I was jumping. They were clapping and shaking my hand.


Now, that's really uncomfortable!


Was it really worth it?    DEFINITELY!


 If you're really an adrenaline junkie, which I am not by the way, it's worth to try just for experience and fun. I mean, it's the highest jump in the world. Not so cheap but good value for the money I think.


 Will I do it again? INDEED BUT MAYBE IN DIFFERENT LOCATION.


Thanks AJ Hackett for the amazing experience challenging people and gravity all over the years!



Below is the mini movie I made for the jump.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment